The speed of developments in Angola reminds me of the infamous answer by Bishop André that his mission strategy is running to keep up with the Holy Spirit! So, are you ready …
In the last three months, Bishop André has held five ordination services, one in each of the archdeaconries in Luanda and Uíge. 36 have been ordained of whom there are 26 new deacons and 10 priests. Two more archdeaconries have been created, which makes a total of eight with more in the pipeline after multiplication. One more congregation has become a separate parish. There will be a further ordination service in Luanda at Pentecost, which will be the last before Bishop André retires in September.
Subject to confirmation this week by the Synod of Bishops in South Africa, Vicars General for the new missionary dioceses may be appointed mid-year. Archbishop Thabo has indicated he hopes the new Portuguese-language province will be approved by the Communion by the end of this year with election of new bishops following next year.
More detail on the last three months follows:
- In Luanda Sul district, six deacons and five priests were ordained in December
- In Luanda Norte district, four deacons and two priests were ordained in December
- In Nzadi a Lukizi district (based around Mucaba in Uíge province) seven deacons were ordained, including Rosa Fernando who was the first woman ordained in this rural district
- Rev. Ramiro Ferraz; St Bartholomew
- Rev. Samuel Daniel Tunga; Visitation, Nsoso
- Rev. Ferreira Manuel Pedro; St Simon of Cirene, Mucaba
- Rev. Rosa Fernando; St Judas
- Rev. André Júnior Kirimbo; St Paul
- Rev. Paulo Alfredo Bige; Transfiguration
- Rev. Benjamin Bernardo; St Cyprian.
- In Lukunga a Logi district, the Congregation of Santa Monica was elevated to the status of a parish with Rev. David Mendes as parish priest.
- Also in Lukunga a Logi district (based around Songo in Uíge province), four deacons were ordained
- Rev. Daniel Luís - St James
- Rev. Henrique Guilherme - St Barnabas
- Rev. Dongala Viera -St Simon of Cirene
- Rev. Santos Paulo - St Barnabas
- In Uíge district, a total of eight clergy were ordained: five deacons and three priests, including Francisco Alfredo João who is the youngest pastor in the diocese at 23 years old
- Rev. Monteiro Garcia Miguel - Martyrs Church
- Rev. Analdo Manuel Fabião - Good Samaritan, Macocola and installed as parish priest
- Rev. Rosário Alfredo Miguel - St Stephen
- Rev. José Pedro -SS Mary and Martha
- Rev. Almeida Júlio dos Santos - St Joseph of Arimathea
- Rev. Arnaldo Júlio dos Santos - Congregation of St Matthew in the parish of Martyrs Church.
- Rev. Francisco Alfredo João - Good Shepherd
- Rev. Andrade Arnaldo - St Philip
- Cabinda has been created a new archdeaconry with the Rev. Afonso elected to become archdeacon (in May or June this year)
- Lastly, for now, Dande has been created a new archdeaconry with the Rev. Jezu Mendes Raul, parish priest of St Mary’s, elected as archdeacon. The parishes of St Mary, Christ the King, St Mary Magdalene, St John the Baptist, and the Congregations of Good Shepherd and St Luke are part of the Dande district.
(There is a full staff list for the Diocese of Angola in the Partner Dioceses section of this site.)